It’s known that many of our digestive issues are exacerbated in the winter because when the temperature drops, we’re less active, we spend more time curled up in bed and we take comfort from the cold with savoury foods. Now that spring is finally upon us, Lure Essentials is here to help you get your gut back on track!
Research into the digestive system’s role in the human body has increased exponentially in the past decade and it is becoming increasingly evident that its wellbeing is the foundation of good health. Now, recognition that the digestive system is significant is by no means a revelation; we’ve known for a long time that good digestion supports the immune system, helps the body maintain a healthy weight through regulation of the metabolism and that it neutralizes irritants or allergens that enter through the consumption of food. However, the most interesting research in recent years links the gut to the brain. Long recognized as the epicenter of the body’s emotions in Eastern medical practices, Western researchers are beginning to understand the significant role that the digestive system plays in regulating our mental health too. That’s right, the evidence clearly shows that an unhealthy digestive system can directly increase your susceptibility to stress, anxiety and tension.
Over the last several decades, our diets and lifestyles in the West have changed so dramatically that record numbers of people are affected by digestive diseases. Processed foods that are high in fat and sugar, as well as sedentary living and stressful jobs, have impacted us so significantly that many people tolerate a “normal digestive state” that consists of near-constant discomfort. Until recently, conventional advice for supporting the digestive system was geared only towards weight management and consisted of drinking lots of water, limiting caffeine and alcohol intake and eating a healthy diet that includes fiber-rich foods. However, with all of the compelling research that’s coming out these days, it’s clear that optimizing the body’s digestive processes is essential for your physical and mental health. Luckily, using a protocol that incorporates Lure Essentials cups into your daily routine can help you do that! In just five minutes a day, cupping therapy has been shown to help clear colon blockages, stimulate the digestive organs, promote bowel movements and ultimately eliminate toxins.
To understand how cupping can support the body’s digestive processes, it’s important to understand how the digestive system works in the first place! Broadly, it has two major functions: it converts the food we eat into the nutrients that are essential for energy, growth and cellular repair, and it protects the body from harmful bacteria. From entry to exit, a healthy digestive system carries food and liquids through the body in an average of thirty-six hours through a process called peristalsis. This series of wave-like muscle contractions is how food moves from the mouth down the throat through the stomach, through the intestines and finally out the rectum. When peristaltic function is sub-optimal, you can end up with a host of gut-related issues like cramps, constipation, diarrhea and bloating, and this is where cupping can make a huge difference!
Cupping is an ancient medical practice that creates negative or reverse pressure and uses vacuum suction to lift blood capillaries and muscles towards the surface of the skin. When the fascia is separated, the body’s blood vessels expand to increase the free flow of blood to the areas of concern. Increased blood flow from one place to another (i.e. the improvement of circulation) ultimately stimulates the lymphatic system, which is essential for healing. When cupping the digestive area, it’s possible to reach up to four inches below the surface of the skin, bringing fresh blood, platelets and growth factors to the soft tissue and organs in need of stimulation and healing. Ultimately, cupping will increase peristaltic action and secretion of the digestive fluids that will get things moving as they’re meant to, so to speak, which will improve your digestive function and help to provide some relief from anxiety and tension.
To help you get your gut from winter to summer mode, try this two minute protocol from Lure. Off the bat, it’s important to remember that the abdominal area is more delicate than your glutes or quads, so it’s important to use something soft and pliable like Lure Essentials SCULPT silicone cupping cups. Unlike other silicone cups on the market, SCULPT cups are custom engineered in several sizes to provide maximum flexibility, managed vacuum suction, comfort, versatility all which will lead to good results. Our tried and tested protocol will have you looking and feeling good in no time:
- Begin by applying Lure Essentials BOOST body cupping massage oil to your abdomen to act as a lubricant. This will facilitate smooth movement and gliding of the cups.
- Staring at the center of your abdomen and moving in a clockwise motion, use our favorite flash cupping technique (suction-pause-release, repeat) to slowly trace the intestines. It’s essential to begin by flash cupping as it will loosen a lot of the waste that is impacted in the intestines.
- After two or three flash cupping rounds of the abdomen, it’s time to start dynamically cupping to move that waste out. The next four steps will build upon one another.
- Starting at the left side above your bikini area, flash cup in a straight line across your lower abdomen. When you reach your right hip, gently attach the cup and drag it from right to left. Repeat this two or three times.
- Beginning again at the left side along the bikini line, flash cup in a straight line across your lower abdomen. When you reach your right hip, begin flash cupping up about six inches until you’re above your belly button. When the “L” shape is completed, gently attach the cup and drag it down to your right hip and across to the left. Repeat this two or three times.
- Beginning again at the left side of the bikini line, flash cup in a straight line across your lower abdomen. When you reach your right hip, begin flash cupping up about six inches until you’re above your belly button. When the “L” shape is completed, begin flash cupping gently from right to left across the abdomen, stopping about six inches above your starting point. When three sides of the rectangle are complete, gently attach the cup and drag it across your abdomen from left to right, down to your right hip and across to the left. Repeat this two or three times.
- Finally, beginning for the last time at the left side along the bikini line, flash cup in a straight line across your lower abdomen. When you reach your right hip, begin flash cupping up about six inches until you’re above your belly button. When the “L” shape is completed, begin flash cupping gently from right to left across the abdomen, stopping about six inches above your starting point. From here, flash cup down to where you started. When four sides of the rectangle are complete, gently attach the cup and drag it up six inches, across your abdomen from left to right, down to your right hip and across to the left. Repeat this two or three times.
There you have it! In just five minutes a day, you’ll be able to do something more than watching your diet to improve your physical and mental health. Join the #GetCupped movement and let us know in the comments or on any of our social media pages how this protocol has worked for you.